If you’ve never been to Thailand before, planning your first trip to the Land of Smiles can be a bit daunting. With so many things to see and do, where do you even start? Here are 15 tips and tricks to help you make the most out of your visit to Thailand:
1. Research, research, research! Do your homework before you go. Read guidebooks, browse travel blogs, and ask friends who’ve been there for recommendations.
2. Get your visa sorted. If you’re a citizen of most Western countries, you’ll get a 30-day visa on arrival at the airport. But if you’re staying longer, you’ll need to apply for a visa before you leave home.
3. Learn a few basic Thai phrases. Thai people are incredibly friendly and will appreciate your attempts to speak their language.
4. Dress modestly when visiting temples or other religious sites. Cover your shoulders and knees, and remove your shoes before entering.
5. Watch out for scams. Unfortunately, tourists are sometimes targeted by scammers, so be cautious.
6. Use reliable transportation options. Taxis and tuk-tuks are convenient, but watch out for overcharging. Consider using ride-hailing apps like Grab instead.
7. Always carry some cash with you. Many places in Thailand, especially small shops and street vendors, don’t accept credit cards.
8. Don’t underestimate the humidity. Drink plenty of water and wear lightweight, breathable clothing.
9. Respect the king and the monarchy. The Thai people have a deep reverence for their king and it’s important to show respect.
10. Avoid petting stray dogs or cats. Many animals in Thailand carry diseases like rabies.
11. Be mindful of cultural differences. For example, pointing with your feet or touching someone’s head is considered rude.
12. Haggle at markets, but do it respectfully. Bargaining is part of the culture in Thailand, but don’t take it too far.
13. Try the street food. Some of the best food in Thailand can be found at the roadside stalls.
14. Visit the north and south of the country. Thailand is much more than just Bangkok and the beaches.
15. Have an open mind and enjoy the experience. Thailand is an incredible country with a rich culture and friendly people – embrace it and have fun!
By following these tips, you’ll be well on your way to having an unforgettable trip to Thailand. Safe travels!